How to Handwash Your Mask or Facial Covering
As the world tries to flatten another COVID-19 surge, the emphasis on wearing masks and maintaining proper hygiene comes back into the spotlight.
If you’ve spent a long day at work with your mask on, the first thing you might want to do is take it off in the car. When you take this step, consider putting it directly into a sealable container to limit the spread of any germs that might be on the material.
After you get home, it is crucial to wash your mask or facial covering to be ready for another day of wear.
Although you could dump it into your washing machine, it is often easier to hand wash a mask. It only takes a little effort to do, and you’ll be reducing the risk of damaging the facial covering.
Steps to Follow When Handwashing a Mask
1. Pretreat the mask if it contains stains. You’ll want to examine the inside and exterior of the facial covering. If you see anything, use a wash and stain bar to address the problem.
2. Fill the kitchen sink with room temperature water. If you have a washtub or basin, some households may find it easier to use these items.
3. Add an all-natural laundry detergent to the water. If you use a traditional product, it might be better to select an unscented version for your mask.
4. Submerge the mask in the water, using your hands to agitate the fluid. It will need to soak for up to 30 minutes to create a safe surface.
5. Once it is finished soaking, pull the mask out of the soapy water. Please give it a thorough rinse in lukewarm water until no detergent remains.
6. Press out the water instead of twisting the mask or facial covering to ring it out. You can press it against the basin or sink to accomplish this step.
7. Allow the mask to dry by hanging it in a safe, sterile environment. If you have a clothesline, clip it outside by one of the ear loops to let the sunshine naturally finish the disinfecting process.
If you have four masks or facial coverings to use, you can handwash your items twice per week to keep them clean instead of doing it daily.